In a perfect world, we would all have plenty of time to dedicate to a lengthy workout routine at the gym. But in the real world, most of us are pressed for time. That’s why we’ve put together this 30-minute full-body workout that will work your entire body!
This is a great routine to do when you’re short on time, or if you’re just starting out and aren’t sure where to begin. Let’s get started!
5 Minute Warmup
Warm up for 5 minutes by doing some light cardio. This can be a light jog, skipping rope, jumping jacks, or any other light activity. The goal is to warm up your muscles gradually without any explosive movements.
10 Minute Strength Training
Then, it’s time to start your strength training. For a full-body workout, weights such as kettlebells are great because many of the exercises strengthen multiple muscle groups at once. This is a good idea if you only have 10 minutes for strength training.
Using a quality kettlebell as a part of your 30-minute workout is best, but you can also cycle between different exercises such as squats, sit-ups, push-ups, shoulder press, and back flys. Choose a weight that you can safely lift for 12-15 repetitions.
As a quick 10-minute strength workout, try and immediately switch to the next exercise with no more than a 15-second break in between.
After your strength training, it’s time for some cardio!
7 Minute Cardio
Cardio can be done with a variety of methods such as:
- Skip Rope
Adjust the speed to about 65% of your maximum level. This target depends on your fitness capabilities. You can also adjust the resistance if you are using an elliptical or static bike machine. Raise the elevation if you are on the treadmill to your desired angle. The key is to maintain this speed and intensity for 7 minutes without having to lower the intensity or speed due to fatigue.
By the end of the 7-minute cardio, you should be sweating and your heart rate should be up. This is a great way to finish your cardio routine and get your heart pumping!
3 Minute Sprint
You can now switch up your cardio method if you wish to target other muscle groups or continue with the exercise. These 3 minutes are going to be the most challenging out of the entire 30-minute workout.
For 15 seconds, you will go at 80-100% intensity. Once the 15 seconds are over, it’s important to not stop exercising completely. Instead, lower the intensity to just 20-25% of your maximum output. This is your rest period and you will go at this pace for 45 seconds.
Each set is 1 minute in length and after 3 sets, your 3-minute sprint is finished. Congratulations you made it through the most difficult part of your workout, it’s time for a quick 2-minute stability exercise.
2 Minute Stability Exercises
Stability exercises are important for developing balance and coordination. They can also help to improve your posture and reduce the risk of injury.
There are many different types of stability exercises that you can do, but some of the best exercises for a full-body workout include:
- Plank: This is an excellent exercise for working your core muscles, as well as your back and shoulder muscles. To do a plank, simply get into a push-up position and hold yourself up for as long as you can.
- Single-Leg Squat: This exercise works your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. To do a single leg squat, stand on one leg and slowly lower yourself down into a squatting position. Be sure to keep your balance and stay upright throughout the entire exercise.
- Bird-Dog: This is a great exercise for working your abs, glutes, and back muscles. To do a bird dog, get onto all fours with your hands directly below your shoulders and knees directly below your hips. Then, extend one arm and one leg outwards, hold for a few seconds, and then switch arms and legs.
- Squat: A squat is a great exercise for working your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and abs. To do a squat, stand with your feet hip-width apart and slowly lower yourself down into a squatting position. Make sure to keep your back straight and your weight on your heels throughout the entire exercise. Then, hold yourself up without moving from this position.
These are just a few of the many stability exercises that you can do for a full-body workout. Start with these exercises and then add in others that you enjoy or that you feel work well for your body. Remember to focus on form and quality over quantity, and always listen to your body to avoid injury.
Each exercise should be performed for 30-seconds with an immediate switch to the next pose. This will equal 2 minutes total. You can also choose 2 different exercises and hold for 1 minute each if you can do so.
3 Minute Cool Down
As you are finishing up the best 30-minute full-body workout, continue with the exercise you used to sprint or switch to another exercise mentioned on the list.
Keep the pace lower than your warm-up. This should look like a casual bike ride or a brisk walk. Cooling down after a workout is important because it helps to gradually lower your heart rate and can prevent dizziness or lightheadedness.
After approx. 1 minute, it’s time to stretch out your muscles. This is the last minute of your workout. Take a deep breath and stretch with the following exercises:
- Hamstring Stretch: Stand up straight and bend forward at the waist. Reach down towards your toes and hold for 10 seconds.
- Quad Stretch: Standing up straight, grab the ankle of your leg, and pull it towards your butt. Hold for 10 seconds and then switch legs.
- Chest and Shoulder Stretch: Reach your arm across your chest and clasp your hands together. Hold for 10 seconds and then switch arms.
- Latissimus Dorsi Stretch: Reach your arm up overhead and grab onto your elbow with your other hand. Pull your elbow down towards your shoulder and hold for 5 seconds and then switch arms.
The Best 30 Minute Full Body Workout (summary)
We hope you enjoyed this 30-minute full-body workout! Remember, when it comes to short workouts, quality is important. So even if you can only spare 30 minutes for a workout, make sure you’re working hard and getting the most out of it. By following this routine, you’ll be on your way to a healthier and stronger body in no time!